Battle ’til the END

It’s the week all Lawrence football fans have been waiting for: Lawrence High School takes on Free State High School. Since 1997 when the city split between the two high schools, the Firebirds and Lions have been cross-town rivals. “It’s always a fun game to play in because the stadium will be full,” Head coach Dirk Wedd said. “And anytime you play a rivalry game it’s a little bit more publicity and the kids love playing it because it’s kind of bragging rights for 365 days.” But who will get to have those bragging rights this year? “I go into every football game thinking we’re going to win.” Wedd said. “We’re a good football team and if we keep improving, we’ll have a chance.” Free State head coach Bob Lisher said the rivalry comes down to the people. “It’s a fun game with a great rivalry because of the friendships on the field, between the coaches, and the people in the stands,” he said. In past years, Free State won bragging rights, but this year, the Lions might have their chance to stand in the spotlight. Led by new quarterback sophomore Brad Strauss, the Lions had a 3-4 record through Oct. 16, including a win against top-ranked Olathe East. “He’s an outstanding player,” Wedd said. “He’s very talented and more importantly, he’s surrounded by a whole bunch of good teammates.” The Firebirds were shut out Oct. 8 against the same Olathe East team the Lions defeated 27-21. That exciting win has inspired LHS players for the upcoming duel even though they were devastated when Olathe North later beat them 41-3. Due to injuries, dynamics changed on the field. Even with some players out, the students section still supports their team. “My craziness level is going to be at a high,” junior Michael Penny said. “I’m expecting everyone else’s to be too. My school spirit is going to be at 150 percent all day.” Super fan Emily Davidson said she wouldn’t miss the game. “LHS is my family. It’s my home,” Davidson said. “Everyone’s in it together, and I love being part of tradition that’s existed for over 100 years. There’s no where I’d rather be than the LHS student section during an LHS FSHS game. The tension is unbelievable and the togetherness of our student body is killer.” This rivalry is a family feud.