Assistant band director Tom Hunt retiring after 14 years at LHS

Students reflect on how Hunt has impacted the band over a long career
Tom+Hunt+directs+the+band+during+the+concert+on+December+7.+
Kennedy Glasgow
Tom Hunt directs the band during the concert on December 7.

The band is ending the year on a bittersweet note. After 27 years of teaching in the district, assistant band director Tom Hunt has decided to retire.

Starting his teaching career at Free State High School in 1997, Hunt then switched to Lawrence High School in 2010. He and his wife plan to move to Oregon and already have big plans.

“We have a new house in extreme northwest Oregon. It was our dream to retire there,” Hunt said. “Circumstances worked out right and the timing worked out right. It was a good time for us to do it and make the jump.”

Hunt announced his retirement to his students during Midnight Serenade, a yearly tradition for the band where they visit their teacher’s houses and perform the fight song. 

“I was really surprised because I didn’t have any indication that he would,” junior Sylvia Oparaji said. “I was really sad because I love band and it makes me feel a part of the school.”

Many students have significant memories with Hunt, including senior drum major Lauren Seybold.

“He was my teacher in middle school, so I’ve known him even longer, and he was the person who taught me how to play the first note on the French horn so that will stick with me,” Seybold said.

Hunt’s teaching is unique, from his expressive personality to his extensive knowledge of music.

“He’s a really good teacher and he knows a lot about music,” Oparaji said. “He’s really expressive which makes it a lot easier to learn from him when he’s directing us.”

Though his time at Lawrence High is coming to a close, Hunt’s music career is far from over. His retirement opens many new musical and personal opportunities for him.

“I’ve already made contact with a group out there that I’m gonna start performing with, kind of similar to the Lawrence City Band, starting with their Fourth of July concert,” Hunt said. “I’m planning to work on my composing and arranging a lot more, tinker with my cars and motorcycles, and fix the new house.”

Hunt has many ideas for his retirement, but one he isn’t sure about yet is teaching.

“Am I gonna teach again? I honestly don’t know,” Hunt said. “I’m gonna take some time and take in the next chapter and see where things go.”

Hunt will be remembered by his students no matter where his future leads him.

“I hope that he is relaxed and happy when he retires, has good memories of our band, and comes back and hears us perform at concerts,” Oparaji said.

After Hunt’s 27 years of teaching, he has gotten close with both students and staff. He reflects on his time at Lawrence High, knowing he will miss both.

“The students here are phenomenal, I love the kids I work with. The teachers really do support each other here. It’s a very unique vibe compared to a lot of places,” Hunt said. “I’m gonna miss the people much more than the job or the structure. It’s all about people, it’s not even about music. It’s about the people and relationships you make.”