Part-time freshman soccer player dominates on the pitch

This season, the girls soccer team has welcomed brand new asset to their varsity team
Wagner+advances+the+ball+during+a+home+game+vs.+Shawnee+Mission+North+West+high+school+on+April+23.+
Lydia Folks
Wagner advances the ball during a home game vs. Shawnee Mission North West high school on April 23.

Dual-enrolled athlete Maggie Wagner skyrocketed herself onto this season’s varsity roster, making her the only freshman on the team.

Wagner has been homeschooled her entire life and does online classes through Maize Virtual School. She attended weights zero hour at LHS, before coming back for soccer practice in the afternoonso

“It’s been difficult at times to get up early,” Wagner said. “But it’s very fun just to be in the atmosphere of public school.”

Wagner felt that the positives of this unique schedule outweigh its challenges, and that being able to bond with her teammates has been one of the most important parts of the experience. 

“Having the community and the friends, the relationships, and experiences, that’s all worth it to me,” Wagner said. 

Not everything about her public school debut was brand new, as Wagner’s journey with soccer had already brought her into contact with a few of the girls on the LHS team. 

Varsity teammate junior Elise Rathmel played club soccer with Wagner, and stressed her history of strong skills on the field. 

“She is kind of like a playmaker on the field,” Rathmel said. “She works through the midfield, and is a really good defensive player. She can win the ball back and make good combinations that help us get forward and be stronger as a team.”

Varsity player sophomore Stella Comparato said Wagner’s communicative nature has been a huge asset to the team. 

“She’s very strong and smart and she communicates well,” Comparato said. “I feel like she’s very vocal, she’s not afraid to speak her mind.”

This has allowed Wagner to contribute to the overall camaraderie on the team, which Rathmel and Comparato agreed has been stronger than ever this season.

“The dynamic works when everybody’s understanding that we’re all on the same level working towards one goal,” Rathmel said. “There aren’t many class divides and I think that helps.”

Beyond the social benefits of being involved in a public school environment, Wagner saw this step as essential to progressing her soccer career, which she aspires to continue far beyond high school. 

“I have always really wanted to play high school soccer. I want to play soccer at the highest level I can,” Wagner said. “My dream has always been to play for the US Women’s National Team.”

But for now, Wagner is focused on making the most of her high school experience, and continuing to bolster the team with both her technical and teamwork skills.

“I am hoping to get some more wins and to just have fun,” Wagner said.”And create really strong  connections with everybody on the team.”