‘Bronies’ launch club for children’s cartoon

There are plenty of unique clubs at LHS:  Asian Admirers Club, Gaming Club and even Anime Club.

The My Little Pony club can now be thrown in with the rest of the lot, and although many people don’t understand it, it is now an active club at LHS.

The club was founded by LHS “bronies,” or “bro ponies,” which is the slang term for fans’ MLP universe. Mainly, the club is based around a newer reboot of the original “My Little Pony” TV show that was based on the toy figures.

The show was created by Lauren Faust, who also worked on “The Powerpuff Girls,” and “Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends.”

“I knew that she worked on it, obviously it can’t be bad,” club president junior Shawn Han said. “And it wasn’t bad at all; it was really good.”

The fact that the show is aimed at younger children doesn’t seem to matter to these high school students, and many other older fans as well.

“A lot of people were talking about it, so I thought I’d watch an episode or two, and by the time I realized it, I just finished all two seasons, and was waiting for a third one,” said junior Thomas Frager, Club Vice President.

According to Han, “The show is about a unicorn named Twilight Sparkle who is a student under Princess Celestia.”

The show starts by Twilight, “[going] to ponyville to host the summer sun celebration.”  But then, as the show progresses, “she wants to stay there, so the princess decides to have her to learn the magic of friendship there,” Han said.

Surprisingly, the somewhat feminine show has attracted a male-dominated club.

“It has pretty much a really girly theme on it,” Han said.

Despite its uncommon theme, the show is still interesting to the club members.

“The episodes themselves are really entertaining and have a lot of mature aspects,” Han said.

A lot of people remember the show and toys from when they were younger, including Frager. It wasn’t until many were older that they became fans.

“Nobody really liked the show when they were younger,” Frager said. “All I’d really do with the figurines is scratch off their cutie marks and pencil in my own, and create my own epic tales.”

All in all, this club may be around for a while.

“We’re actually a pretty decent sized club,” Frager said of their 15 members.