Hairy Lions grow it out in November

It’s that time of year again. Time to put down the razor and let the facial hair grow free.

No-Shave November is back once again, and students have begun to take part in this festivity.

“I’m a burly man,” senior and two-time participant Justin Riley said. “I want to show off my facial hair because it gets pretty intense in the November month.”

Most students, like Riley, participate in this event to test what level of extremity their facial hair can achieve.

For these particular students, this shave-free month traditionally begins with a specific ritual.

“The night before [Nov. 1], you shave,” Riley said. “And that’s the last time you’re going to be shaving for a while.”

Other students, however, participate in this event for different reasons.

“[I do No-Shave November because] I’m lazy,” senior and first time participant Alex Clabaugh said.

Despite the different reasons to participate, most students are unaware of the important meaning behind this hairy celebration.

No-Shave November began in Australia and New Zealand to support prostate cancer awareness. This event was called “Movember”, a combination of moustache and November.

Although No-Shave November is mostly celebrated among male students, and it was originally created to support a gender specific disease, several girls have also chosen to participate in the event this year.

“I don’t usually shave my legs anyways, since it’s winter,” senior Lydia Longabach said. “So I was like ‘Yeah, why not?’ ”

However, No-Shave November is not all fun and games.

“There’s a point where my neck gets unbelievably itchy and like that’s probably the worst,” Riley said. “Every time you move your face it like itches against your skin. It’s terrible.”

Girls taking part in this event, like Longabach, also face their own difficulties.

“A lot of guys tend to freak out, but they really shouldn’t because it’s not their business and girls should be able to do whatever they want with their body,” Longabach said. “It’s socially acceptable for guys not to shave but then it’s gross when girls don’t shave, so I think it’s really stupid.”

Despite the down-sides to No-Shave November, it is generally enjoyed by students and gives everyone a good laugh.

For those who just can’t get enough of this hairy holiday, there is always the chance to be a part of “Decembeard,” “Manuary,” and “Facial Hair February” as well.