Facebook is an open book to our lives

The Internet provides a home for students — a location where students may voice their internal monologues and daily goings-on.

However, the Internet may not be the safest place for students’ rhetoric.

“What you post on Facebook can follow you wherever you go,” counselor David Raney said. “If you post some emotional response to somebody or something that rubs people the wrong way, that could be viewed by a university, and it may jeopardize your admission.”

For students, online musings could receive more attention than expected, propelling information to locations it was never intended to be viewed. Some students post images of themselves engaged in debauchery of all types, including using illegal narcotics or intoxicating themselves. This information can turn up court, or more likely, be viewed by parents.

That is not to say social networking is entirely flawed. In fact, Raney said there are just as many, if not more, positive aspects of social networks.

“I think that with Facebook you’re kind of an open book,” Raney said, “and if you are a good student, it’s going to make you a viable candidate wherever you go.”

Using social media, students and colleges can have immediate connections. Colleges can immediately learn more about their students and students can stay connected to the latest news their educational providers have to offer.

“I think colleges and universities are looking more at how they can utilize those type of technology forms to get to know their students but also to recruit students,” Raney said.

As long as students are careful in what they vocalize, Facebook can help students get in — not keep them out. Other students, more carefree students, may come across problems, though.

Raney talked about one student who was not lucky with Facebook. After being rejected for a basketball team, he badmouthed the coach on Facebook. This badmouthing ended up getting back to the coach not long after.

“If he had a chance to make it in the future,” Raney said, “he would never make it because he posted this stuff on Facebook.”

Some students have tried to avoid the dangers of saying too much.

“I’m just careful about how I talk and what I say,” junior Kirstyn Flohrschutz said. ”I’ve heard of people getting in trouble for posting inappropriate things, so I’m just extra careful.”

When it comes to social networks, Raney urges caution.

“If they can’t say it to the person,” he said, “they probably shouldn’t be posting it either.”