FYI helps students find matches for compatibility

For the first time in FYI Club history between Feb. 8-12, the club will be having a healthy relationship themed week. This inaugural event will mostly take place during lunch Friday, Feb. 12, when booths will be set up in the Rotunda that feature different games along with trifold exhibits.       

“Sam Schwartz was the one who originally thought of this,” senior Jordan Payne said. “She is definitely the brains behind this operation.”

With senior Schwartz leading the way, other ideas have come along the way. On Jan. 28 during seminar, a match making survey was sent out to each class. These compatibility tests would be used to determined which students are more relationship compatible than others.

“Stuco did the survey two years ago, but this will be the first year that FYI will use it,” Payne said.               

On Friday, students will be able to purchase the results of the survey or purchase a cookie. Other opportunities to purchase these cookies will be on Monday Feb. 8. This is the starting point for the event. During the FYI Club meeting on Thursday, Feb. 11, the club will ice and decorate the cookies with messages. Materials that will be presented during the next day will also be finalized by the club leaders. The responsibility for finding the materials and ways to present the materials will fall on the Love Docs relationship panel, a branch of the FYI Club itself.

“We want this to be a multifaceted presentation not a preachy event,” Ash said. “It needs to be fun for this event to succeed.”

Payne echoed Ash’s sentiments about the event.

“The logistics behind the event were fairly simple,” Payne said. “Ash wanted to make sure that we were going to make money, but also we wanted it to be fun for the students. We don’t want them to get upset.”

Ash stated that if the materials were presented in a harsh manner, students might become upset at what may perceive as a personal attack on a relationship.

“This topic comes up in my office a lot,” Ash said. “Often times it’s not those in a relationship, but those who are friends. There are other options besides saying ‘Oh, you need to break up with him.’ That is the message that we are trying to send.”