Students dressed as elves volunteer at Art Center Holiday Shop

On Dec. 11 and 12, the Lawrence Art Center, 940 New Hampshire St., was filled with kids with money in their pockets and smiles on their faces. On those two days, hundreds of kids filled the Art Center in hopes of finding the perfect gifts. The Art Center held their annual Children Holiday Shop. The shop offered youngsters a chance to buy inexpensive gifts for parents, pets, teachers and friends.

LHS students were dressed in aprons and pointy ears last weekend helping little kids shop for Christmas. Over 200 volunteers from around the community, the larger part of them being high school students, participated in the Holiday Shop. Volunteers could either volunteer to wrap gifts or be elves. The elf volunteers stayed busy with the 500-800 kids from ages 3-12 that came through the Art Center during the two days.

LHS students and other volunteers alike scurried around, helping children find the perfect presents. The students not only helped kids find the best gifts, but they also helped them pick paper and wrap their gifts. When children arrived, with their parents who stayed outside, they were pared with an elf for the time they were shopping time. The volunteer elves are there to ensure that the shopping children have a special and unique experience. Elves also insure that the Holiday Shop is a safe atmosphere for young children.

Volunteers were given a green apron, but are encouraged to dress up.

“People do dress up with ears and hats,” senior Kristen Vogel said before the event. “But I’m just wearing the green apron they give us.”

LHS students volunteered for a myriad reasons.  

“I volunteer for NHS right now, but in the past I’ve just done it for fun,” Vogel said.

Other students volunteered in an effort to amass volunteer hours toward National Honors Society requirements.

The elves were provided with snacks that the Lawrence Art Center Preschool made. All the money that was raised was back into the center.

This experience is beneficial to not only the kids but also to the elves. The elves very much enjoyed their experience helping the kids find the perfect gift for their loved ones. Everyone who has volunteered has had a great time. In exchange for their volunteer hours the volunteers also had a chance to get some of their shopping out of the way.

There are more volunteer opportunities at The Lawrence Art Center. They are listed on lawrenceartscenter.org and opening the volunteer tab or by emailing [email protected].