Average kids deserve attention

With the end of the year coming, it is almost impossible not to notice all of the awards and scholarships that are being given out to the top-of-the-line kids in the school. Since I would consider myself just an ordinary, average, normal kid, none of these huge scholarships will be coming my way.

At the beginning of the year this reality was a big disappointment, and it really upset me, until one day I realized what the normal kid brings to the school. 

There are a ton of different groups at Lawrence High: the athletic, the intelligent, the unintelligent, the apathetic, the dramatic, the musical, the preppy, the country, the list goes on and on, and somewhere, lost in the middle, are the normal kids. The normal kid can dabble in each of these cliques but will never find any real success because, quite simply, most normal kids do not want to.

It is easy to see why with all these other groups hogging the spotlight, the normal kids receive hardly any attention. There is no light shone on them. They are the stage hands for the big production that is       Lawrence High.

When looking at the situation closer however, it becomes apparent that the normal kids are the backbone of the school, the balance for the craziness. Despite the fact that they do not participate in activities, play sports, or do that well in class. They establish the equilibrium between the top tier of the school and the lower tier of the school. Just think of how unbalanced the school would be without the normal kids to fall back on and compare to.  

So why is there no attention paid to these kids in the middle?

The obvious reason is that they are not doing anything that noteworthy for the school; but they do provide that balance, and they are here taking the same amount of classes as everyone else, even though they might not be performing as well. Without them, the school loses its balance.

If you are one of these normal kids, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Hold your head up high even though you are not getting the credit you deserve. Play your role and embrace the fact that you are normal.