Administration, StuCo disagree on concessions

There has been a unprecedented change in Student Council that has been in effect since August.  In the past, concession money has gone to StuCo, but now it is apparent that the school has decided to take the money. This can be beneficial to the school, but at the same time it has hurt StuCo’s already low cash flow.

The concessions have been held by the school district food services with the money going to the school instead of StuCo this year.

The decision came as a surprise to many on StuCo.

“I was shocked and upset, this was our biggest fund-raiser; it was hard on all of us in StuCo.” StuCo President Leslie Queen said.

According to Principal Matt Brungardt, the decision can be better understood, knowing the requirements it takes to sell concessions.

“The food requirements required for selling concessions made it harder for StuCo to keep up, and it was easier to go with food services,” he said.

This decision might help the school, but according to StuCo Advisor Platt, it will also hurt StuCo.

“With this decision it will hurt some of our StuCo kids, they will miss out on learning some skills like how to budget, plan and how to interact in public situations,” Platt said.

Some wonder where the money will go, but the decision has already been made.

According to Brungardt, the money goes to the athletic department, but LHS has not decided where in the athletic department to put the money.