Students reflect on NY Elementary School’s possible closing

New York Elementary has been a fixture in Lawrence since 1865, but it may be closing its doors soon. With recent cuts to the school budget, the school board faces a tough decision: whether or not to close New York Elementary. This could be New York’s last year of existence.

New York Elementary is one of Lawrence’s oldest schools whose alumni include poet Langston Hughes. The possibility of its closure has given some of its LHS alumni a moment of reflection. Senior Jamie Jarrett attended for sixth grade, sophomore Rydell Blann attended for his entire elementary days and senior Gari Jones attended for second through sixth grade.

Principal Nancy DeGarmo who is in her sixth year at New York faces a harsh reality. The budget is shrinking, and New York is a very expensive school due to low enrollment. It costs the district approximately $6,000 a year per student, more than any other school in the district. The School Board has put New York Elementary on the short list of possible closings.

“We have trimmed over $3 million from the budget and need another $4 million before school starts next year,” DeGarmo said.

As the budget situation unfolds, graduates reflect on their memories from New York.

“While only going to New York for sixth grade, it is a time in my life I will never forget,” Jarrett said.

Students readily voice their opinions about the possible closing.

“I would feel really upset,” Blann said. “There would be so many great memories that would be going down the drain. After going there my entire elementary years, it makes me sad that they could be closing. It will always be a part of my life.”

The alumni students, though sad about the closing, also have many fond memories.

“One time during my fourth grade year, my class took a state assessment,” Blann said. “The secretary came down to our classroom, and gave the teacher, Ms. Rhoades, an envelope and started crying. All of the students turned and looked at the envelope and found out our class scored an 88 percent on the test on her final year of teaching at New York Elementary.”

All of the students seemed to remember one thing in common about the school.

“They were the best teachers ever,” Blann said.

At New York, many of the students felt no pressure and were happy with their surroundings.

“Great times, it was laid back, not big, but it had really good teachers,” Jones said. “The Boys and Girls Club was a great memory.”    

After going to New York, all of the students developed a certain perspective, and they are only who they are today because of this elementary school.

“If I wouldn’t have gone to New York, I wouldn’t have the same work ethic,” Blann said.

The elementary school that so influenced these students may soon be closing its doors. If the school closes, the experiences that the students enjoyed so much will not be available to future generations.