Clothing costs expected to start springing up in stores

Students planning on purchasing a new spring wardrobe better watch out.
Clothing prices are expected to rise 10 percent starting this spring. The economy is recovering and the demand for goods is rising — both good things. But a rise in the cost of labor and raw materials is squeezing the money out of retailers and manufacturers, the Associated Press reported recently.
“People will probably shop less or only buy things on sale,” junior Nicki Snodgrass said.
The price of cotton has skyrocketed and is now at an all-time high since the American Civil War, reports the Associated Press. Manufacturers are looking for alternatives to cotton, which has caused the price of other fabrics to rise 50 percent. To save money, the Associated Press reports, clothing makers are designing jeans with fewer beads and other embellishments, and shoppers won’t have as many colors to choose from.
“Hopefully people will become better, smarter shoppers,” junior Emily Hoy said. “People will have to get creative with clothing and thrift store shopping.”
Cotton now costs $1.90 a pound, one cent more than it cost during the Civil War. Cotton prices began rising in August 2010 after bad weather cut cotton production in major countries such as China, the U.S., Pakistan and Australia. Another cause of the change in price is the improving economy. During the recession, some Chinese factories were temporarily shut down to save money, and they still haven’t returned to their full capabilities.
“Stores should find a price range somewhere in between so clothes are still affordable and the companies can still afford to pay for the cotton,” said sophomore Candace Barnes.