Teachers, administrators to depart from LHS at year’s end

The year was 1976, the president was Jimmy Carter and a young Jan Leonard was beginning her teaching career as a junior high language arts instructor in Topeka. Now, some 34 years later, Leonard is ready to start something new.

“I just need to take a step back and reevaluate where I’ve been, what I’ve done and what I want to do next,” the retiring assistant principal said. “But I can’t imagine being away from kids.”

Leonard, like several Lawrence High faculty members, is taking advantage of the school district’s early retirement program. To be eligible for the benefits that accompany the program, the work experience and age of the individual must surpass 85 years.

Though Leonard has enjoyed her time at Lawrence High, she says that now is the right time to make this move.

The same is true for history teacher Michael Ortmann. Ortmann, at Lawrence High since 1997, is taking his early retirement after 33 years of teaching, or what he calls, “tormenting young minds.”

“It’s hard to make that decision,” Ortmann said. “It’s been an emotional roller coaster in many ways. It’s hard to leave the teachers and students at Lawrence High, and I’ve just had wonderful opportunities in this building, but I could take early retirement and take early advantage of some of the good things in the Lawrence district, and I wanted to take advantage of those opportunities while they still existed.”

Ortmann does not know what is future holds but says he plans to pursue education in some capacity. He has taught in high school and college and has worked as an educational consultant and curriculum adviser. All those options remain on the table for Ortmann.

“I look at this as really a great adventure,” he said.

Also among those staff members leaving LHS this year are math teacher Paul Bohlen, librarian Arla Jones, journalism teacher Heather Lawrenz, directed studies teacher Cathy Lyman and computer teacher Susan Siler. Each of these teachers will leave for a different reason.

Jones’s position was cut by the school board in an effort to balance the budget, and unless something unexpected happens within the next few weeks, she will not be back at Lawrence High next year. Jones also sponsors the Gay-Straight Alliance Club and the Anime Club.

Siler is resigning amid the budgeting process, but says she had “a nice time here” and is has been grateful for the “great relationships” she has made at the school. Siler does not know what she will do next year.

Lawrenz is also resigning to teach at the new Blue Valley Southwest High School.

Lyman is taking her early retirement after 34 years of teaching to follow her husband to his new job in Atlanta. Lyman has been at Lawrence High since 1996 and has been the Ping Pong Club sponsor throughout her tenure here.

Bohlen is retiring to pursue a new job in the corporate sector, yet his job description will remain largely the same.

“I’m going to be teaching people to manage their finances,” Bohlen said. “The difference there is that the people there will all be wanting to learn, and I’m looking forward to that.”

However, it is not without a little regret that each of these teachers leaves the school.

“My greatest teaching experience was here at LHS,” Leonard said. “The students in my classes were outstanding, and as a result of that, so was my teaching experience. I have lifelong friends here.