Wisdom from the bench: Pierron offers unique lecture

One by one, students filed into the auditorium on Oct. 7 to hear the Honorable Joseph Pierron Jr. speak. Whether attendance was for extra credit, entertainment or simply a way to get out of seminar, many students agreed that it was time well spent.

Pierron, a member of the Kansas Court of Appeals since 1990, began by giving a brief introduction about his life. He grew up in Olathe and graduated from Olathe North in 1964. He then graduated from the University of Kansas School of Law in 1971. Pierron also has served as President of the Kansas Committee for the Prevention of Child Abuse.

Although he has been presenting to students for a few decades, it was not until 15 years ago that Pierron noticed his presentation needed a change. He worked with teachers from Lawrence High to develop a more active presentation that included student involvement. Student feedback shows that it has made a big difference. Before this change, students did not find it as enjoyable and often would not take anything away from the experience.

“My favorite part was when he pulled people out of the crowd and had them act,” senior Shelby Lewis said.

During the presentation five students were called up to demonstrate certain cases Pierron has studied, while the remaining audience served as a jury. This caused students to pay more attention since they were watching their peers up front.

Teachers agree that since the presentation has changed, students have enjoyed it much more and do not feel as if they are being told the same things over and over again.

“Even though I had heard all the stuff he talked about before, I liked the way he presented it with jokes and skits,” junior Monika Doctor said.