Face off: Dress code too lenient

Check out Face off: Dress code too strigent for the other side of the story.

Any given person who has walked through the halls of Lawrence High has seen numerous examples of inappropriate dress. Due to global warming, students are dressing as if trying to prepare their bodies for the extreme heat by wearing less and less clothing. Outlines for student appearance, as details in the LHS handbook, are not being enforced because students use the ‘self expression’ excuse. It is ridiculous that these people are causing others discomfort and distraction. The students of LHS need a lesson in modesty.

First off, everyone knows how girls can dress inappropriately, but it is not just the girls that need a stern talking to about decency. Girls are constantly wearing shirts that dip way to low, and skirts that show things before they even bend over. However, guys who wear their pants down to their knees show an unwanted sight as well. Would it kill students to dress in a way that does not pose moral discomfort to others?

Unfortunately, it has become normal to see these sights in the hallways. Because people have pushed the standards so far, girls wearing the equivalent of headbands around their waists are not given a second glance. At least they are wearing bottoms, right? Wrong. It is not okay that this has become the ‘norm’, and a change needs to be made.

Not only are students bordering on indecent exposure, but the accessories some students choose to wear not only distract, but they cause other students to feel unsafe. For example, students who wear long chains and spikes could easily use those as weapons.

I am not advocating school uniforms for our students, but there need to be changes. Faculty and staff members should enforce all the restrictions set up in student planners. These outlines are basic and by no means unreasonable. In fact, there are no restrictions whatsoever on hair color or piercings.

It is common knowledge that teenagers are boundary pushers. But in the case of student appearance, the LHS faculty has let the boundaries become completely blurred.

By simply enforcing the rules, LHS can and should create an environment where students are attentive and respected.