New interim principal Rials leans on LHS roots as he brings new leadership

After graduation from LHS and serving as assistant principal, Rials is ready to lead
Eliza Naumann

Over the past few years, Lawrence High School has been subject to a number of changes in staff and building structure. One of these more recent changes is the hiring of Quentin Rials as interim principal. Rials, who has previously served as an assistant principal at LHS and as the interim principal of West Middle School, is excited to turn over a new leaf in leadership. 

“I want the kids to feel safe when they’re here in this building and make memories and know that this is a special place and feel that way when they move on to either their college or their career,” Rials said. 

What separates Rials from previous school leaders is his longstanding association with LHS, which doesn’t just apply to his previous assistant principal job. 

“I remember the time when I was a student walking through these halls and it feels great,” Rials said. “It feels almost the same as it did when I was going back then. I’ve always felt very proud to be a member of Lawrence High School and I feel that same sense of pride everyday I walk in this building. 

Other administrators, like assistant principal and athletic director Mike Gillman, are excited for the change in pace brought about by Rials, especially during the hectic first few weeks of a new school year.

“Dr. Rials has done a phenomenal job getting us started,” Gillman said. “He’s familiar with Lawrence High so it’s been a really smooth transition. He’s done an exceptional job.”

Assistant principal and activities director Elaina Honas is similarly excited about Rials, particularly when it comes to assisting him with increasing school attendance. 

“I hope that we can increase our school attendance rates this year because that has been something that we decided is a building goal and I hope I can help him reach that goal,” Honas said. 

Longtime CTE head and teacher Jeff Dickson is also enthusiastic about the change in leadership.

“I think Principal Rials is one of the best principals I’ve ever worked for and I’ve been teaching for twenty-six years,” Dickson said. 

Rials’ stint as interim principal has not been without its challenges, however. This past year, he’s had to contend with months-long hospital stints, hours of physical therapy, and a variety of health issues overall, many of which continue to impact his life now.

“I don’t think doing the work is the difficult part, it’s losing my freedom and being able to get back into work,” Rials said. “Losing that sense of autonomy has been difficult for me.”

Despite these health struggles, Rials continues to happily devote himself to the LHS community, who he sees as a chosen work family.

“I hope to continue this family atmosphere that I know that’s here and I want everybody to want to come to work every single day and do what’s best for students,” Rials said.

Dickson can further confirm Rials’ passion for his work.

“It’s obvious that he loves Lawrence High and cares greatly about the students and staff here and it shows in everything that he does,” Dickson said.