Religious discrimination targets students

Jesus Freak. Borat’s interpretation of a Jew. Bald-headed Monks. Common labels are stuck on students if they openly show interest in religion. Society has shaped our generation so that many of us reject religion. It is considered “prude.” Our generation has developed negative stereotypes regarding the display of religion. This mindset must change.

Students could pass by a kid cussing like crazy, and they would think nothing of it. Then, they could pass a student who is praying and immediately develop a label, a label for the student as a “goody-good.” As young children, most of us were taught not to curse, and many of us were brought up to express religion. Yet, now it is acceptable to curse but not to pray.

Students are embarrassed to express their religious beliefs because they are made fun of. For instance, I have a purity ring. And yes, I have been made fun of and called a “goody-good.” I think nothing of it, but many would. Just because I am not ashamed of my religious beliefs, does not mean I fit the misunderstood label of a goody-two-shoes. I still like to have fun like everybody else; I just happen to wear a purity ring and go to church.

While the religious stereotype has become much too common, there are still many people who will not condemn others because of their beliefs. There are groups who accept people and their religious beliefs, such as FCA, FCC and Young Life. Some students do not carry the negative stereotype, but there are just not enough. Students should have the right to express themselves without becoming embarrassed. Finding where people and their religion fit in can be difficult, but joining a youth group is a good start. Better yet, just remember: when it comes to beliefs and values, the only opinion that is important enough to count is that of the student.