Uncle Sam wants you, but you don’t need him

Military recruiters travel throughout the United States, going from school to school recruiting impressionable students to join their forces. They fill young minds with glorified thoughts of fighting for their country. Recruiters lure them with a chance to receive a free college education.   

But is it really free? What are these young men and women really giving up? The truth is, nothing in this world is really free.  According to, “Army of None” by Aimee Allison and David Solnit, 65 percent of those recruited receive no money for college, while only 15 percent receive a college degree.

“Army of None” also states that the maximum Montgomery GI Bill benefit is $37,224, which is difficult to receive in many cases. To join, applicants are required to pay a nonrefundable deposit of $1,200 that must be paid during their first year of service. During recruitment, recruiters are not required to inform people of this. According to the New York Times, in 2004 one in five United States Army recruiters was under investigation for making false promises that applicants would not be sent to Iraq. Additionally, approximately 33 percent of homeless men in the United States are veterans, according to Allison and Solnit. If joining the army is a possible future prospect, especially for financial reasons, it would be recommended to do your homework before committing.

Recruiters also do not inform applicants that while on duty, without consent, they have the right to extend an active-duty session if declared a “national emergency” even if the soldier has only two weeks left of active duty.

Anyone can join the army these days, it does not take much. According to Allison and Solnit, in 2006 the military lowered its education and test standards for people applying for the military.  The qualifications have become much more lenient.  For example, a person is now allowed to have hand and neck tattoos. In the past this was not permitted. Because of the lack of soldiers, recruiters are stretching the truth to desperate levels.

As young citizens of the United States, students will be targeted. They should know the facts, read the fine print and as applicants, understand the commitment. Not everything goes the way it seems, and as human beings, students should be informed before they put their lives into another man’s hands.