Sporting alternative sibling rivalries

Athletic teams, clubs or even a tight knit group of friends always feels like a family to the members of the team. But for someLHS athletes, the camradarie feels like family because it is a family connection. Senior Nicholas Shump and his brother, junior Joshua Shump, run on the cross country team together. Senior Ben Seybert tackles the opposition alongside his brother, sophomore Josh Seybert. Senior Kelsey Broadwell passes the ball on the volleyball court to her sister, freshman Caitlin Broadwell. While freshmen will begin to take classes at the high schools next year, this year, they are allowed to compete athletically at the high school level. This afforded the Broadwell sisters a chance to play with each other. “It has always been my dream to play with Kelsey,” Caitlin Broadwell said. “So I was really excited when the freshmen got to move up because this was our last chance to play together.” While the younger Broadwell desires to play with her sister, that doesn’t mean that a sibling rivalry still occurs. The Seybert brothers argued about who was better as a sophomore. “I played wide receiver and I scored a touchdown, so I had six points,” Ben said. His brother fired back saying that although he had only four points, he probably has had more tackles. “We play different positions, I play defensive tackle,” Ben said. “He [Josh] plays linebacker. But the coolest part is I get to hit him during practice for no reason at all. Plus, I can hit harder than he does.” However, Ben said that he doesn’t see his brother that much during practice. The elder Seybert plays a different position as well as a different level. This is in contrast to the Shump brothers who run on the cross country team. “I try to be an arms length apart from other Lions,” Nick said. Though Nick also said he always sings the Alma Mater with the rest of the team, including his brother. With other sets of athletic siblings walking the hallways, it is no wonder athletic teams often feel like family at LHS.