Concerns arise over stadium’s readiness

The first Lawrence High School football game, against Shawnee Mission North, is set for 7 p.m. Sept. 4 at Lawrence High. However, many staff and students question if the location will remain the same. Lawrence High School has had many lawsuits filed against the new athletic fields, which could prevent the football game from occurring.

Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, requiring better accessibility for the disabled, further building must include the addition of an elevator. On top of that, rain has put the workers about 70 days behind schedule. To make up the days, constriction workers have had to work more efficiently. So far, only the home side of the stadium is planned to be ready for the first home game.

Athletic Director Ron Commons is eager for the new stadium to finally be completed, he but understands that Mother nature can get in the way.

“There is only so much we can do, and it’s rained so much this summer,” Commons said.

Speculation as to where the game might be held, if construction is not finished in time for the game, circulates around the school. Students like senior cheerleader Jasmine Sims predict just where that might be.

“My guess is Haskell, since we have always held our games there in the past,” Sims said. “That would make the most sense.”

While football, soccer and Marching Band are allowed to practice on the field, construction of the stands is still ongoing. Students are forced to ignore their surroundings and concentrate on the task at hand.

“It sucks practicing with all the noise,” senior clarinet Sam Graham said. “Half the time you can’t hear Jones, but I understand it must be done as soon as possible.”

Even with the uncertainty, of where the first game will be held, so far what has been finished has met staff and student expectations.

“Football didn’t have to practice on a wet field,” Commons said. “The same was true for soccer and band.”

Football coach Dirk Wedd agrees that the turf field has allowed football practices to continue, even after a heavy rain.

“Over a weekend we had four inches of rain,” Wedd said. “We were still able to have a normal practice.”

The new field not only has kept the sports at home to practice, but the Marching Band as well.

“One of the great things about the new field is that we can practice regardless of how much it rains,” Graham said. “In the past, we have had to go to KU because our field would be so soaked. Now we’re able to stay here.”  

The new field has benefitted both athletics and the band. Although sharing a field can at times make scheduling practices a harder task, Wedd explains what makes it all worthwhile.

“The band has used our field before, and we want them to be as great as they can be, too,” Wedd said. “On Friday night football games, we are all just a big family, and we’re all in it together.”