Technology Unplugged with Weston Norris

Whether you are looking for a serious tablet with a great processor and a wide variety of professional apps or one solely for entertainment purposes, each company promises that their product is the one for you. With almost every company producing a tablet to call their own, how do you choose which one to buy in the end?

If you are going into college in the next two years, tablets, as well as laptops, will become a normal sight. For some, laptops are the best option because they are mainly taking notes and writing papers, but for the others a laptop may not be enough to get the job done. For students majoring in subjects such as journalism, music or art, the tablet is revolutionizing the way students can complete projects and assignments. This still raises the question “which tablet is right for me?”

Students who are looking for tablets that can provide entertainment during downtime should look into the following:

The Amazon Kindle Fire
Pros:

• This amazon branded tablet provides entertainment in the form of a 7.5 by 4.7 inch tablet.
  • The option to download hundreds of apps and books in the palm of your hand anywhere with a wi-fi signal.
  • Low price compared to other tablets.
  • You can download your school textbooks onto it.

Cons:

• Performance is very sluggish.
  • The interface has some bugs.

For the price of the Kindle Fire, it is worth the money. I would not, however, recommend it to any students who are taking classes that they want to be able to use apps with. It would be great for students who want to save a little bit of extra money on books and lighten the load on their backs.

For students who are looking more into the education part of tablets, here are some products that will provide an expansion for you schooling.

Apple’s iPad 2:
Pros:

• Massive amounts of memory.
  • Millions of apps to download, as well as movies books and music.
  • iTunes Connectivity.

Cons:

• Very expensive.
  • Connectivity options only include Wi-Fi and 3G with plans.

The Apple iPad 2 provides everything the Kindle Fire has and then some. With the ability to download books and apps that are useful during classes, the iPad is an all around great choice. Despite the price and connection plans, it is well worth the $499 dollars you would be spending.