How To With Ashley and Kendra: Braids

Braids have been woven into hair for centuries, dating as far back to the fifteenth century “when braided hair was used as a means of communication, so individuals could distinguish whether someone was married, mourning, or of age for courtship,” Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tharps, authors of Hair Story:  Untangling the Roots of Black Hair In America said. It could also indicate one’s status in society and which tribe or nation they belonged to. Men braided their long beards as well as the hair on their head. Today, men and women alike often braid their hair to make it look stylish. Provided below are some interesting and unique ways you can braid your hair.

Basic Braid

1. Divide your hair into three equal strands.
  2. Hold two strands in the left hand and hold the third strand in the right hand.
  3. Rotate your left hand at the wrist to cross the two strands one over the other, bringing the outside strand to the center.
  4. Bring the single strand over and cross it over the middle of the two strands.
  5. Repeat the process, bringing the outside strand of the two to the middle by rotating the wrist.
  6. Weave the single strand on the right again into the middle of the two left strands.
  7. Repeat this process all the way down the length of your hair.

French Braid

1. Separate out a section of hair where you want to begin the braid.
  2. Section of the very top layer of your hair into three equal strands, as you would in the Basic Braid.
  3. Take a one inch section of the hair on one of the outer sides of your braid that is not already included in your braid and add it to a section of the braid on a nearby side. Cross over these combined sections as you would in the basic braid.
  4. Take the other outer-side of your three strand braid and again, take a one inch section of hair not already included in the braid and add it to the braid with its corresponding section.
  5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until all your hair has been gathered into the braid.
  6. Once you reach the nape of your neck or run out of hair to add to your braid, you can finish braiding with the technique used in the Basic Braid.
  7. Make sure to secure the French braid with a hair tie at the end of the braid.

Dutch/ Reverse Braid

1. Take a section of hair from the top of your head and divide it into three equal pieces.
  2. Continue on as if doing a French Braid, but bring the strands under the center piece rather than over.
  3. When you have reached the nape of your neck continue with leftover hairs the Basic Braid.
  4. Secure the hair at the end.

Fishtail Braid

1. Split your hair into two large sections.
  2. Take a one inch lock of hair from the outer half of one of the sections and cross it over to the other side.
  3. Take another one inch section of hair from the outer half of the other section that you initially divided and cross that small hair section over to the other side.
  4. Continue steps 3 and 4 until you reach the end of your hair.
  5. Secure the Fishtail Braid with a hair tie at the end of the braid.

Snake Braid

1. For this hairstyle, simply braid a small section of hair as you would in the Basic Braid and braid all the way down your hair shaft.
  2. Take the middle section of the braid and slowly push up on the braid until the interesting braid reaches the root of your hair.
  3. Loosen the braid so that the snake effect is evident.
  4. Bobby pin back this braid, so that the snake shape holds throughout the day.

Headband Braid

1. Part your hair to one side and start the base of your braid by taking a 2-inch wide section of hair next to your ear: either your bangs or your shortest layer of hair in the front.
  2. Braid this section as if you would in the French Braid, making sure that you are pulling tight.
  3. Braid until you reach your ear on the other side, and braid as if you are doing the simple braid.
  4. Secure your bangs or this small section of hair with a bobby pin.