Presto Path to First Chair

After beginning to learn cello during freshman year, senior now leads as first chair player.

Symon Knox

PLAYING HER CELLO – Senior Christina Cho rehearses in her Symphonic Orchestra class. Cho sits first chair.

By Luna Stephens, Staff Writer

While most students came into freshman orchestra with three years of experience, senior Christina Cho walked in not even knowing the strings on the cello.

Despite her late start, Cho was able to become the cello section leader in Symphonic Orchestra due to her longtime piano talent.

Cho wasn’t immediately drawn to orchestra.

“I actually thought I was going to do choir, but the second day of school I changed to orchestra,” Cho said. “I didn’t really think it would change my life.”

It seems Cho was a natural talent as she was able to take on section leader of Philharmonic the next year before moving on to Symphonic Orchestra.

One thing Cho had going for her was her drive.

“She’s one of the hardest working young women I’ve met,” orchestra director Rachel Dirks said. “I’ve really enjoyed seeing her blossom as a musician and put her time and energy into becoming the best musician she can be.”
Orchestra wasn’t Cho’s first experience with music. She had been playing piano since age 6.

Younger sister, freshman violinist Grace Cho considers Christina an inspiration.

“I think she’s a really good musician, Grace said. “She has really sensitive ears and good sense of music. He’s always practicing and really involved in the orchestra.”

Both Christina’s piano and cello skills came together for state orchestra competition in April as she performed a piano concerto alongside the orchestra.

“I was so nervous,” Christina said. “It gave me a lot of responsibility, but I also think it’s one of my most unforgettable experiences…I’m very thankful for the opportunity.”

Though Christina plans to major in international development, she’s taken away a lot more than just musical skills from her time in orchestra.

“Orchestra has changed my life because I met a lot of new friends and teachers and a lot of opportunities through orchestra,” Christina said. “I learned how to work hard and achieve what I want… It’s taught me work ethic. And also, since I met so many different people from different backgrounds and everything, I think I’ve become more open minded”.
Cho plans to continue playing music and said she’s even planning on learning drums and guitar.

“I can never imagine my life without music,” Christina said. “Because every time I felt alone or feel like I’m stuck in something, I go to the piano and just play music and that calms me and makes me feel better.”

Christina will leave a musical legacy at LHS.

“[I will miss] her contagious smile and her drive to make the music the best it can be,” Dirks said.