Student involvement in election is valuable, rewarding

A few weeks ago I decided that since I wouldn’t be able to help President Obama by voting, I would help him by volunteering. I called the Douglas County Democratic Party Headquarters and asked what I could do to help. Within a few days I was sitting with other Obama supporters making calls to registered Democrats throughout the county.

I was a bit disappointed when I was told I would be making calls to people asking them to volunteer instead of encouraging them to vote. That change after I called a fifty year old man that was delighted that I had contacted him. A lot of people didn’t even know the Democratic Party was looking for volunteers and were excited to help out.

Another way I became involved with this year’s election was through Kansas Kids Voting. Kansas Kids Voting encourages voting in youth by allowing students K-12 to complete ballots in a mock election. Mr. Herbert told my government class that they were looking for volunteers to work the polls and later count the ballots. I signed up and was stationed at my old school, Hillcrest Elementary. I had the evening shift, so we didn’t have as many voters, but those that stopped by seemed pretty excited. One kindergartener looked at the picture of Obama and said, “He’s so handsome! I like him!”

Though I wasn’t able to get involved by voting, I did participate in this year’s election. I think more people my age should be informed about elections and find a way to learn about their favorite candidates. In 2016, I will finally get the opportunity to vote and hopefully convince others to do so as well.