Daily Chesty’s Chat asks LHS to ‘think about that’

Do fish ever get thirsty? How do you handcuff a man with one arm? What if the red that you see is different from the red that I see?

Students are presented with perplexing questions like these every morning during Cole’s World, this year’s Chesty’s Chat segment hosted by senior Cole Cummins.

“I wanted to bring insight and laughter to the great students of Lawrence High School,” Cummins said.

Each day students look forward to hearing the question of the day.

“I like that you actually have to think about the answers,” sophomore Nicole Kelly said.

That is what teacher Jason Lichte, who oversees the Chesty’s Chat auditions, had in mind when he picked Cummins.

“We look for creativity and something that would apply to students,” Lichte said. “I think it gives students a little something to munch on intellectually.”

Chesty’s Chat may seem all fun and games, but it can be difficult to think of a question everyday.

“[The questions] come to me when I am in deep thought, like right before bed or in the shower,” Cummins said. “[When I run out of ideas] I text [senior] Brad Strauss.”

Something else to look forward to is the special segments on Fridays. Cummins calls them Celeb Fact Fridays.

Most questions trigger a soft chuckle throughout classes, while some make students groan and roll their eyes.

“My favorite one was the one about Pinocchio,” Cummins said. “The worst one was probably the oxygen making your voice deeper one.”

Cummins says he has been receiving both positive and negative feedback about his daily questions.

“People say they like them, others say they don’t,” he said. “But that’s OK, haters gonna hate.”

Which side are you on? As Cummins would say, “Think about that.”