Ian Schneck planking slideshow

Perched on buildings, prone across a cherry picker and board-like on a tree branch, junior Ian Schneck has embraced the planking fad.

Over time, fads may come and go, but Shneck is committed to this one from head to toe.

Plankers lie horizontally across objects or the ground, heads down and arms glued to their sides. Having a photograph of the planker posted on the internet is an integral part of the game.

Schneck’s planking has begun to catch the attention of students through Facebook. He said he was inspired to start planking when his friend, junior Porter Burdett, started planking.

“It inspired me to go along with one of the first fads that I’ve been apart of,” Schneck said.

Although this fad has become less popular, Schneck still continues this act.

“A lot of people stopped doing it, but it’s still interesting,” he said.

Schneck takes advantage of any planking opportunities he can get.

“[I usually plank] whenever I’m around someone with an iPhone,” Schneck said

Schneck says his most impressive plank was on top of the Lawrence sign at the train depot downtown.

The history of planking is brief, but developed quickly. The game made news in September 2009 when seven doctors and nurses working at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon, England, were suspended for playing the lying down game while on duty. On May 15, Acton Beale, a 20-year-old man, plunged to his death after reportedly planking on a seventh-floor balcony in Brisbane, Australia.

Other planks have been more fun than danger. On Sept. 2, Dwight Howard, a basketball player for the Orlando Magic, and about 100 of his fans planked in Beijing.

Schneck is just one of the many people continuing the planking fad and catching the attention of the public.

View Comments (1)