Students protest elimination of Kansas Arts Commission

Lawrence High School students made the case for fine arts to state lawmakers when they traveled to Topeka March 16.
Students were fighting proposed cuts to the Kansas Arts Commission (KAC).
“We went down to the capital with signs we made ourselves, and we protested on the steps,” senior Kelly Thompson said. “Then they told us to move so we protested on the street right outside the Capitol. We sat in at the committee meeting for the actual vote, and we took up a fourth of the room, so that was pretty cool.”
Seniors Stephanie Gage, Emily Johnson and Jonas Upman, and sophomores Maya Connor, Hazlett Henderson, Valerie Schulz, Kelly Song and Sarah Sutterfield were among those who participated in the protest.
“I think it’s really important, and I am really proud of students from Lawrence High who took off their time to go to Topeka to support the arts,” art teacher Wendy Vertacnik said.
In February, Gov. Sam Brownback had moved to cut KAC as part of his efforts to reduce the state’s budget. Supporters said eliminating the commission would be detrimental to art education in Kansas. KAC supports new artists and arts agencies throughout the state, allowing arts in the state to prosper.
“KAC funds all types of agencies throughout Kansas and many of those outside agencies do all types of things to support students,” photography teacher Angelia Perkins said. “There’s a lot of things that they do for students in terms of scholarships, showcasing the art work, holding competitions, so if those were cut that means all of those opportunities for students would be cut as well.”
If KAC lost federal funding, it could mean lost opportunities for Kansas artists.
“We would be the only state that does not have state-supported arts — the only one out of every single state,” Perkins said. “I think that the arts is such a strong part of Kansas, and we are already trying to break the stereotype that we are a bunch of hicks riding cows. So the fact that they would cut something that is classified as a strength to the students, a strength to the community, and beautifying the community just seems like that it takes Kansas back.”
It would only take 29 cents per person to keep the federal funding for KAC.
“29 cents a person is not very much,” Upman said. “I just think that it’s ridiculous that they are trying to cut something that requires less than a million dollars a year. They have other programs that are completely useless that take up more funding.”
Without the federal support, the arts will have to be privately funded.
“If they do cut the arts commission, it would become a private organization,” Upman said. “I don’t think it would be as effective really because while they may receive more funding, it’s still a huge if. They may not receive any.”
Upman had a skeptical outlook for KAC’s existence as a private organization.
The Kansas Senate voted in March to repeal the governor’s much-debated order.
“I think it was a hasty decision that Brownback made,” Perkins said. “I don’t think he really thought about all the effects that it had on the area.”
Henderson adds, “Art is an important part of a well-rounded education,” and KAC has proved to be invaluable to students.
And even though the legislatures have voted against the bill, the budget for KAC is still left in question.
“I just think that they need to notice how much KAC does for students because art is not just something that is playtime in the classroom,” Perkins said. “It really does affect students, and sometimes the only reason students come to school is because of the arts. I just think they just need to look at the impact it has on our future students.”