Lions look forward to new season following win against Olathe South

Football players share attitudes and reflections from first game
Maeslyn Hamlin

As the Lawrence High football team dives headfirst into the season, new faces take the helm and anticipation builds for the new year.

After losing many starters from last year, the Lions will heavily rely on senior leadership and new faces to reach the goals of a state championship this year. 

Junior Banks Bowen has stepped into the role of starting quarterback and is looking to bounce back from a broken hand last season. 

“It was definitely a setback,” Bowen said. “It’s all healed and I’m ready to go for this year.”

Coming back from injury, Bowen is also a first-year starting quarterback and hopes to step into the leadership role.

“Everyone kind of counts on the quarterback to do their job,” Bowen said. “Me having to do that will make me an even better leader.” 

Along with Bowen, the Lions are bringing back an experienced offensive line, with senior team captains Will Hendricks and Kem Allen leading the charge.

“We have a lot of guys there with a lot of experience,” Hendricks said. “I think it is just important to keep everybody grounded from doing too much and just playing our game.”

Along with Hendricks and Allen in the O-line rotation are seniors Elijah Hernandez and Dylan Alvarado, junior Elijah Gray and sophomore Bailey Johnson. Allen had a standout performance in the Lions opener where he compiled a 94% offensive line grade and recovered a fumble for the Lions. 

Friday’s game resulted in a 41-22 win, leaving the Lions with a hopeful attitude for the next game. 

“I think in that first game you’re going to make mistakes but the guys had fun and stayed together when things got tough,” Hendricks said.

Dylan Wheatman

Another key addition to the Lion’s offense is senior Malcom Paul. Paul moved to Lawrence High last year and has generated a lot of buzz for the team. 

“Malcolm’s definitely a threat, he plays whatever we need,” Bowen said. “He’ll be a playmaker for us. He’s a really important part of the team.” 

Paul lines up as one of the Lions top receiving threats and also splits carries with senior running back Tony Jacobson. 

On the defensive side, senior Zander Thomas guides a fairly inexperienced and new secondary following players graduating and injury of junior cornerback Jaylon Parks.

“Our secondary is pretty young overall, I’m the only returning starter other than Tony who switched to running back,” Thomas said. “I’m just trying to lead them but we’ll figure things out.”

The Lions are ready to push above their past playoff ceiling and believe they have the pieces to accomplish it. 

“The idea of leaving time or games that you won’t get to spend with your teammates if you don’t win, you’re leaving games on the table if you don’t win,” Hendricks said. “We want to leave Emporia State with a trophy in our hand.”