The wrestling team finishes 9th at State with four wrestlers finding the podium

Members+of+the+wrestling+team+watch+intensely+during+a+meet+at+Lawrence+High+versus+Washburn+Rural+on+January+27.+

Members of the wrestling team watch intensely during a meet at Lawrence High versus Washburn Rural on January 27.

By Andrew Phalen, Sports Editor

After a successful regional meet, the Lawrence High wrestling team took five wrestlers to State this season, with four finding the podium. The meet was held in Park City on February 25. The team finished ninth place overall with 53 total points. 

Senior Logan Farrell was forced to forfeit his first-round matchup because of a lingering ankle injury. Farrell finished his senior season with a 13-8 record. 

“I thought my season went well,” Farrell said. “I’ve had some issues staying healthy the last two years, but other than that, I feel like I did well.” 

Senior Trey Medina finished the regular season with a perfect record and was named regional wrestler of the year. After successfully reaching the championship, Medina fell to Nathan Bowen of Haysville-Campus. Medina competed at 145-pounds, instead of wrestling in the 152-pound weight class like he did last season. The second-place finisher ended the season with a 20-1 record. 

Junior Kevin Honas also found success at the State meet, wrestling well enough for a second-place finish in the 120-pound weight class. While Honas got out to an early lead, it wasn’t enough to hold on and win the match. 

“My season went very well,” Honas said. “I felt like I wrestled the best season of my life.” 

Honas finished the year with a 22-4 record and has his eye on the top of the podium next season. 

While in Park City, sophomore Jack Elsten placed fourth in the 113-pound weight class, and freshman Andrew Honas took sixth in the 106-pound weight class. Honas finished the year with a 15-14 record while Elsten ended his season 20-6. 

With lots of returning contributors, the team looks prepared to compete for a team podium appearance next season.