Winter sports preview

noimage

By Charles Backus and Gage nelson
Stand-out athletes from each winter sport were asked the following questions.

1. What are you looking forward to this season?
2. What have you/the team worked on most during the off season?
3. What will be the biggest obstacle for you/the team this season?

Bowling

Senior Kierstan Warren
1. “Everybody improving from last season, especially since last season was such a great season for the team.”
2. “I have not personally been doing much bowling because I tore a ligament in my hand actually, but I’ve been trying to still bowl with it. As far as the team goes we have a summer bowling league where we cover all aspects of bowling.”
3. “Besides having an injury that could ruin my career, the biggest obstacle will probably just be other competition.”

Wrestling

Senior Alex Jones
1. “Hurting people. Causing people a lot of physical pain.”
2. “Moves and technique, mainly upper body stuff. A lot of chucks and throws.”
3. “Well, for me, it will probably be gaining a lot of upper body strength. Most of my workouts are football workouts which concentrate on lower body stuff, so I need to work more on my upper body.”

Womens Basketball

Senior Kionna Coleman

1. “Probably just getting back on the court. I haven’t played a game since summer, and I’m just excited to just play with my team again.”
2. “We’ve worked on putting up more shots, and agility shots. We’re not a super tall team so that’ll help.”
3. “Probably keeping our confidence up. Not very many people show up to our games, so we don’t have that cheering section.”

Swimming

Senior Caleb Axlund
1. “Establishing a brotherhood and a strong bond with the underclassmen and getting the entire team to a good point to be successful.”
2. “The things we worked on in the offseason the most is getting into shape before the season so that when we started we weren’t trying to catch up to where we were when the last season ended.”
3. “This season we have a huge number of new people trying swimming and our goal is getting them to a point to where they can be successful.”

Mens Basketball

Junior Anthony Bonner
1. “Just the new team. We have a lot of new guys, so I am excited to see how we will do.”
2. “Our conditioning has gotten a lot harder, we are small so a lot of us have been working on our jump shots.”
3. “Probably rebounding, our tallest guy is Price, and he is 6’3” so that’ll probably be our biggest obstacle.”