Seniors stake a claim in front row

9_crowd

A group of seniors cheers along the front railing of the student section, following tradition and supporting the varsity football team at Olathe South.  Photo by Elsa Regan

By Genevieve Voigt

The stands aren’t packed, the cheers aren’t loud, and parents fill part of the student section. The stadium lacks the excitement it has known in the past, but there’s one place that is the same as always: the railing directly in front of the student section.

During football games, the enthusiastic seniors never falter as they clog the walkway and cheer right back at the cheerleaders.

It’s no coincidence that the coveted spot at the railing is always filled by seniors — and only seniors. Every year, the new graduating class claims its spot in front of the student section.

Of course, high school just wouldn’t be the same without the occasional rebel. Some underclassman always puts his or her foot down onto the concrete of the senior section.

Not all underclassmen are immediately pushed out of the front. Seniors are sometimes ambivalent to the occasional junior or sophomore sitting with older friends.

Senior Tim Schraad recalls sitting with seniors as a younger student.

“I’ve had a lot of upperclassmen friends throughout the years, so I stood with them,” Schraad said. “If I was told that I needed to move, I would move. I mean I kind of understood that it was their spot.”

He is an avid supporter of the football team and attended all but one game during the season, including away games.

As a senior, Schraad experiences no resistance when he wants to stand in the front of the student section. Other students recognize his right to a place on the first step, the walkway or even the front railing.

However, Schraad couldn’t always be found along the railing. While underclassmen might not be allowed up front, nobody prevents seniors from moving higher into the student section to encourage enthusiasm.

“I’ve gone to the back quite a bit just to help like vamp up the cheering, and I know other seniors have, too,” Schraad said.

Freshman Nico Carlson enjoys the football games and hasn’t ever been told to move. He sits with other freshmen and occasionally sophomores.

Carlson understands the separation of classes and doesn’t harbor any resentment.

“Some people are nice about it, and some people, they’re not like mean, they don’t yell…but they might just be like, ‘Hey, kid: Move,’” Carlson said.

He suggests that making the student section a row instead of one section could help eliminate drama. If there were more spots in the front, there would be fewer people defending their place.

For the most part, both upperclassmen and underclassmen are happy with the arrangement. Almost everyone agrees that students just have to wait their turns.

Senior Emma Oury usually stays at the railing for the duration of the game and occasionally kicks out younger students.

She thinks that seniors in the front is a tradition that shouldn’t be challenged.

“It’s always been a big part of the tradition here at LHS. As a senior, I think it’s important to maintain that,” Oury said. “It’s just really fun to go there with your friends and cheer.”