LHS v. FS volleyball

volley

Photo by Harley Phelps

Thursday October 24th, the lady lions volleyball team took the court with high confidence and high hopes of beating their cross town rival Free State.

“Before the match i was super nervous but also really excited,” Senior right side hitter Kristen Gile said.

The lions started strong, leading the entire first game, up until the end when the Firebirds were able to make an unexpected come back and take an 1-0 lead on the Lions early in the match. The Lions tried not to less the loss affect them in their play for the second game.

“I wasn’t worried going into the second game because I was confident that we would come back. I just forgot about the first game,” Gile said.

Despite their best efforts to stay positive and a make come back during the second game the lions fell short, and dug themselves further into a hole down trailing the firebirds 0-2. The Lions had to make a comeback during the third game or the match would be over, and for seniors this was unacceptable.

“We knew it was our last chance, especially the seniors. We had to prove that we were the better team,” Gile said.

After their third game victory the lions fell into a series of wins, winning the last three consecutive games of the match, ultimately winning the match.

“ After the game I was so overwhelmed. There were so many people on the court. I couldn’t have been happier,” Gile said.