Coaches reminisce on school years spent at LHS

Forty-three years after helping lead the Lions to a state football title, Dirk Wedd walks the sideline of the football field — this time as a coach.

Wedd, the LHS football coach, is one of more than 15 coaches who put down their cleats and picked up a clipboard and whistle to coach at their alma mater.

The people, high expectations and school pride enticed these coaches to return.

“LHS puts high expectations on our students,” Wedd said. “The teachers now, just like then, expect a lot from our kids.”

These high expectations applied for athletics as well with a tradition that has netted 106 state championships.

“All sports at that time had very high expectations,” said baseball and football coach Adam Green, a 1992 graduate. “No one questioned those expectations. Winning a state championship was expected, and we all worked very hard to ensure that happened.”

Green played football, baseball and basketball. He was part of three state football championships.

Effective coaching played a large role in the success of these teams, coaches said. Girls basketball and softball coach Nick Wood, a 1996 graduate, played on state-winning basketball and baseball teams. Wood still uses lessons he learned from his high school coaches.

“As a head coach, you develop your own philosophy, but you also pull concepts from all of the other coaches that have been so influential in your life to help you create it,” Wood said. “Coach [Ron] Garvin taught me about being a good person and doing things the right way. Coach [Dirk] Wedd taught me what it means to put on a Lawrence High jersey, the value of team chemistry, and how to out compete your opponent. Coach [Jack] Schreiener taught me how to develop a personality that can relate to a wide range of individuals. Coach [Lynn] Harrod taught me that players make plays and to put them in situations to do so.”

These coaches and players showed pride for their school on and off the field.

“Everyone supported one another,” said track and girls basketball coach Audrey Pope, a 2003 graduate. “Showtime was always sold out three nights in a row. We went crazy for the band every time they played at an assembly. Basketball games were packed for boys and girls. Pack the House was full every year, and we traveled to away games in packs to support all of our athletic teams.”

Until 1997, Lawrence High’s athletic success came at a time when Lawrence was a one-high school town.

“The school spirit was amazing,” Wood said. “Not only was the student body awesome, but back then, the community rallied around one high school so there was always tons of support.”

After the split, one of the most supported school events, was the Free State vs. LHS football game. Back then, the cross-town rivalry was just as evident, if not more.

“It was crazy,” Pope said. “Outside of sports we were friends with the Free Staters, but when it came to competition, there was no love. Going to the LHS-Free State football games at Haskell Stadium was a family affair. Everyone was there.”

Pope’s sophomore year, Free State shut LHS out 16-0, and left Pope with some resentment.

“I can’t tell you how bad that felt,” Pope said. “I’ve hated Free State ever since.”

According to Green, school spirit has expanded beyond the football stadium.

“Football was well supported by the student body, but other sports were kind of neglected,” Green said. “It gives me a sense of pride to see how much support all the athletics teams now receive from the student body. The school spirit is definitely better now from my perspective.”

Another difference Green sees is that students now rely less on face-to-face communication.

Changes also arise for coaches themselves. Wood and Wedd both commented on their hair loss since their high school days.

“The glory days of having wavy locks are way past me,” said Wood, who now sports a head shaved bare.

The biggest change Wood experienced was transitioning from a player to a coach.

“Once you start to realize that the major leagues or the NBA isn’t going to call you up, you quickly realize that you want to stay in the game somehow,” Wood said. “And in my eyes, the best way to stay in the game was as a coach.”