Spring sports spur into action

With the current weather, it’s hard to believe that springs sports are just right around the corner.
Wednesday night was the annual spring sports meeting, where players and parents attended to learn about the upcoming seasons.

The spring sports are:
Boys baseball
Girls soccer
Girls softball
Girls swimming & diving
Boys golf
Boys tennis
Boys baseball
Track & Field

Athletic Director Ron Commons started off the meeting introducing the coaches, with some familiar faces like track coach Jack Hood and baseball coach Brad Stoll, as well as a few newcomers such as the head girls’ soccer coach Justin Young.

Commons noted that athletes need to turn in all necessary forms, seeing as tryouts for spring sports start as early as the beginning of next week. Students need to make sure they have purchased an activity ticket in order to participate in their sport.

Before breaking the meeting off to allow each sport have it’s own separate meeting with the coaches, Commons highlighted the increasing importance of concussion awareness. There is now a concussion form that has to be turned in before a student is allowed to participate in a sport, and preliminary concussion testing will be held so that if an athlete suspects they have a concussion, they can go back and retake the test to compare to their initial pre-concussion results. He also urged parents, players, and coaches to be aware of and on the lookout for concussion symptoms.

In addition, students should know that LHS is partnered with Adidas through Francis Sporting Goods and can receive discounts on Adidas products at the store if they present their student ID.

The LHS Athletic Department also now has a twitter account where they post updates, schedules and scores. Follow them on twitter, @LawHS_Athletics