Boys need more players to contribute to succeed in rivalry game

Anyone who packed into the bleachers of “The Jungle,” also known as the Lawrence High gymnasium, on Dec. 14, will recall a spectacular 30-point performance from senior guard Jake Mosiman to beat rival Free State.

Mosiman, one of just three Lions to score in the victory, recognizes the team will need more than three players putting the ball through the basket on Friday to get a victory in hostile territory.

“We want to have a more balanced scoring attack,” Mosiman said. “I know they are going to come out and guard me a little harder, so I’m going to have to pass the ball more and get myself open and try to knock down contested shots.”

Coach Mike Lewis wants to see the team play a similar game as the previous match up, except he expects to distribute the scoring to more than three players.

“I hope that we don’t have to rely on Jake scoring 30; I hope it’s a better team effort,” Lewis said. “As a team, we guarded well and shared the basketball well and found Jake when we needed to.”
Lewis also recognizes the passion and intensity for the rivalry from both schools, as no seat in the Free State gym will be left empty Friday night.

“It’s one of those basketball games where everybody gets pretty hyped up about it,” Lewis said. “We can’t get caught up in the distractions. We have to be playing our best basketball over there.”
Mosiman is confident in the team’s ability to be successful in a hostile environment against an improved Free State team.

After coming up short in the final seconds against Shawnee Mission East, ranked second in class 6A, and almost escaping with a win against undefeated Shawnee Mission South, ranked No. 1 in class 5A, Mosiman and the Lions are confident no stage is too big and no lights are too bright.

“We always tend to step up in big games,” Mosiman said. “I know if I have a bad game, the team will pick me up and we will be fine.”