Gymnastics places 6th

Just one short year after suffering the crushing blow of placing last, the LHS gymnastics team made a name for itself by placing sixth overall out of 12 teams at the state competition Saturday.

Junior Cambry Lynch was pleased with the results.

“I think we’re a lot better this year than we were last year,” Lynch said. “We’ve gotten higher scores in everything.”

State was sponsored by the Kansas State High School Activities Association at LHS, which gave the girls the leisure of competing on their home turf.

“[Competing at LHS] makes it feels easier because we tumble here everyday,” freshman Ashley Ammann said. “It makes a lot of emotions and pressure fly away.”

Another advantage to participating in home meets is the support basis.

“We get more support from family and friends,” Lynch said.

Two LHS gymnasts went home adorned with medals around their necks. Junior Jessie Abernathy took fourth in floor routine, and junior Allison Williams secured sixth place on beam.

One month ago, Williams was told she would not be on the mat with the rest of her team at state due to a stress fracture to her fibula and a possible torn meniscus in her knee. The injuries were a result of overuse during cheerleading and gymnastics practices.

“I was really sad because I already had not been able to participate in a couple of meets,” Williams said. “I feel like I was letting down my team when I didn’t compete.”

After having to sit out for a few weeks to nurse her injuries, a glimmer of hope arose for Williams. Her doctor informed her that she was allowed to practice during the week of state with her teammates to see if competing at state would be a possibility, despite her injuries.

This didn’t phase her a bit. Last year, Williams was in a similar ordeal. During state, she was injured as well with of a case tendinitis in her wrist.

“I was only able to compete beam last year, but I nailed that routine,” Williams said.

This year, history repeated itself in the outcome of the competition. The girls on the team have taken heavy strides of progress from last year.

“I think we did great,” Ammann said. “We’re hoping to place in the top five [next year], and I think we have a good shot of accomplishing that.”

167
View Comments (167)