Senior girl tries out to be kicker for varsity football

Slightly different than your typical 5’9” 180 pound kicker, senior Sydney Watson walked toward the field for her official football tryout Aug. 24.

After hearing Coach Dirk Wedd announce he was seeking a kicker for the varsity football team, Watson started joking about trying out for the team. Soon, it became reality.

“It started off as a joke, but then I thought, ‘It’s my senior year, why not?’ and I ended up being really good,” Watson said.

Although rare, it was not the first time LHS has had a girl tryout for the football team. In 2006, Abby Vestal was the main kicker for LHS.

“Obviously my track record says I will have a girl kicker,” Wedd said.

Standing on the 25 yard line during her rainy try-out, Watson was nervous to take the first kick.

“It was raining, so I thought I was going to whiff it and fall on my butt,” Watson said.

Football players lined up by the end zone, and coaches stood behind Watson waiting and watching to see what kind of a foot this girl had on her. Watson wasn’t phased by the mass of people standing by to watch, she actually found it encouraging.

“Everyone was supportive, and when I messed up they would say, ‘It’s OK Syd.’ And when I did good, they would cheer,” Watson said.

Although the weather conditions weren’t ideal, the support of her friends and the rest of the team helped Watson give her best effort under the conditions.

“I thought it went really well,” Watson said. “I probably could have done better, but I was really nervous.”

Walking off the field slightly uneasy and definitely nervous, Watson eagerly awaited Monday afternoon when Wedd would announce the results.

“[Her tryout] was good,” Wedd said. “She was nervous. I think the biggest thing was her leg strength wasn’t what we were looking for. She was more in the 30-yard range without pads, and we are looking for more 55-60 yard range with pads on.”

Wedd also worried that by the time Watson would be able to play, the boys would be used to playing without a kicker.

“She was disappointed [when she couldn’t be kicker], but that showed competitiveness in her, which is good,” Wedd said. “I hope she gained something from this. I admire her for trying.”

But Wedd hopes that there aren’t any hard feelings.

“I hope shes still a friend of mine,” Wedd said.

Despite the end result being less than ideal, Watson held her head high and looked for the positives.

“It was such a cool experience,” Watson said. “Being able to say I tried out for a boys sport is not something most girls can say.”

161