Optimism abounds for Fall sports

Boys Cross Country

Boys cross country started off the season with a first place win at the Manhattan Invitational Tournament Sept. 3.

“We’re looking about the same as last year, if not just a little bit better at this point,” coach Brian Anderson said.

Seniors Zach Andregg, Reid Hildenbrand and Simon Fangman have been on the team for three past trips to state.

“They already have two [first place] state titles under their belt,” Anderson said. “Their goal is to get a third.”

All seniors have shown leadership abilities this year.

“Zach Andregg is very talented and can push us a lot in practice,” Hildenbrand said. “Simon Fangman is good at pumping us up and working hard. Nathan Stringer and Dylan Orth [too] — everyone pushes each other.”

Competing against Free State doesn’t bother Anderson or Hildenbrand.

“We will beat Free State,” Hildenbrand said. “We haven’t lost to Free State, and we won’t this year. They’re looking better, but so are we.”

Girls Cross Country

“We haven’t looked this good since 2007,” coach Brian Anderson said. “There are 10 girls ahead of where our fourth girl was last year.”

Junior Grace Morgan agrees.

“It looks good, there’s a lot more people coming out, so it’s kind of exciting,” she said.

The girls team also started the season well at the Manhattan Invitational. The varsity team finished fifth place out of 10 teams and JV took third.

When the girls compete against Free State, the team is unsure of what the outcome will be.

“I heard they practice a lot, but we’ve been working really hard,” Morgan said.

As a result of injuries, Anderson said the outcome will depend on “how long we can keep everybody healthy.”

Football

After a summer of hard work, the football team kicked off the season with a win of 35-12 against Shawnee Mission West.

“We’re looking really good,” junior Kharon Brown said. “The defense is getting better, and the offense is figuring it out.”

According to Brown, seniors Sean Thomas, Garret Cleavinger and Charles Jackson have been stepping up as leaders.

“All the seniors have done an outstanding job of leading this team so far,” coach Dirk Wedd said. “As a group they are not loud, but they lead by example, which I prefer.”

As for the big game against Free State this year, Brown said the team will “whoop” the Firebirds. Wedd, on the other hand, isn’t yet focused on the cross-town rivalry.

“When we play them in week nine, which is our last scheduled game, we will worry about them,” Wedd said.

Volleyball

The volleyball team looks strong and focused for this season. Players hope to make it to state.

“If we work really hard, we can do it,” senior Kelsey Kilburn said. The three seniors, Kaley Wingert, Christina Haswood and Kilburn are stepping up in many ways.

“Our seniors are incredible leaders,” coach Stephanie Magnuson said. “They put everything on the court every day and have set the bar high for the underclassmen.”

The nine returners for varsity are anxious to face Free State once again.

“It will be a close match, but we can pull out a victory because we have a student section behind us,” Kilburn said.

Magnuson shares the same opinion.

“We have come out on top the last four times we have met them, so we have every intention of keeping that winning streak,” Magnuson said.

Boys Soccer

“This will be our best year,” junior Dalen Reed said.

Coach Mike Murphy is also optimistic about this season.

“I think the team will be fun to watch this year,” Murphy said. “They are working hard and learning from their mistakes. We should continue to improve as the season progresses.”

Senior Tanner Click is highly respected by both coach and players for his ability to lead the team by example.

“He has been pushing everyone to do their best,” junior Dalen Reed said.

Click is only one of the eight seniors on the team this year.

“The senior class as a whole is a talented group, and I expect all of them to contribute as leaders,” Murphy said.

Junior Justin Riley, one of the key players, is captain as an underclassman, a rare sight in some sports.

“He had a good year in 2010, and we expect another fine season from him,” Murphy said.

The game against Free State is expected to be interesting this year.

“We’re going to destroy Free State this year,” Reed said.

Girls Tennis

Although the girls tennis team is still adjusting to a season with new coach Chris Marshall, he is happy about the season so far.

“I have been very impressed with our numbers and skill set this year,” Marshall said.

Senior Taylor Eubanks is optimistic as well.

“We have a very strong JV,” Eubanks said. “Our tennis bond is stronger than ever.”

Eubanks is valued as one of the few seniors on the team.

“Taylor Eubanks has stepped up in several ways,” Marshall said. “She helped organize and was in charge of getting all the players their dresses and shirts for matches. She has organized the snacks for all matches, which has been a big help.”

While Marshall has never played Free State before, Eubanks knows their skill.

“Free State has a very good team, but they are missing key players and that will get us our edge,” Eubanks said.

Marshall looks forward to the challenge and is optimistic about the outcome as long as hard work is put in.

“If we all improve and play to our abilities, I think we should be able to compete and win our matches against them,” Marshall said.

The tennis team is expected to have a successful season.

“We are very deep and competitive team,” Marshall said. “We have several players that are going to help us at varsity and JV this year. It looks like a lot of players worked hard over the summer which has helped a bunch.”

Gymnastics

After almost being cut and getting a coach at last minute, gymnastics has been doing surprisingly well so far.

“We’re looking good,” junior Lindsey Fangman said. “Better than last year, we have some pretty good girls.”

The team practices with Free State every day and has an accurate image of their competition.

When the Lions take on the Firebirds, “It will be interesting,” Fangman said. “Free State is definitely better.”

Despite the odds, Fangman believes in the strength of the team.

“We work good as a team this year,” Fangman said. “There’s not one specific [standout] person.”

Girls Golf

For the first time in 11 years, the 2011 girls golf team got first at a varsity tournament.

“Every year we are improving,” senior Anna Koppes said. “This year is even better than the last.”

Senior Payton Covert has been standing out as a leader and golfer.

“She is very encouraging and good at organizing team bonding outside of school,” senior Alyssa Crider said.

The team is confident in their abilities to beat Free State.

“At the first varsity tournament, we beat Free State by 76 strokes,” Covert said. “At the second, we got first, and they got last.”

Senior Katie Reynolds agrees with Covert.

“We’re going to be better,” Reynolds said. “We’re LHS, and you know, that’s just us.”