Wrestlers carry on tradition

Here at Lawrence High it is all about tradition. The latest of these traditions is beating Free State in wrestling. The LHS wrestlers have defeated Free State for the last eight years.

Head wrestling Coach Patrick Naughton is pleased with his team’s performance against Free State and attributes the success to the leadership in the program year after year.

“It is always nice to beat your rival in you home gym,” Naughton said. “It is something that each class has handed down to the next.”

Not only was the match significant because of the opponent, but it also marked senior night for five Lions. Seniors Chris Berg, Chris Lane, Dom Reiske, Braxton Vardys, and Dustin Walthall experienced their final home meet of their Lawrence High careers. Reiske who is undefeated on the season loved the atmosphere of senior night and was very confident in his teammates to bring home a victory.

“We came in knowing that we were going to kill them,” Reiske said. “The atmosphere was great, we had a packed house and everyone was loud. It made the competition even more tough.”

While Coach Naughton was satisfied with his team’s performance against Free State he knows they still have a long way to go toward their ultimate goal of winning state.

“We still have a ways to go, but we are progressing well toward the State tournament,” Naughton said. “The Rose Hill tournament will be a good prep for State.”

The Lions who are the seventh ranked team in the state are very confident coming into the State tournament.

“We are very tough as a team,” Reiske said. “We are going to bring home some hardware at State.”

The team is working hard to achieve their goal of finishing in the top six at State. Time will tell what the team can accomplish, but in the meantime check out the wrestlers prepare for State at the Rose Hill Tournament on Feb. 5 and 6 at Rose Hill High School.