Boys bowling on a roll

After finishing 5th at State last year, the boys bowling team is picking up right where they left off. Starting off the year finishing first at the Lawrence Quadrangular and second at the Seaman Quadrangular the team is rolling on all cylinders.

“The boys are strong and serious,” Coach Tom Birt said. “I have never seen a group who really support each other and excel in competition.”

Seniors Tanner Kilmer, Ryan Miller, Josh Russell and Ben Wyatt are all part of an experience lineup who are trying to reach the main goal of getting back to Wichita and winning State.

“The team has set a high goal to win state this year,” senior Ryan Miller said. “But just placing at State would be a huge accomplishment.”

Miller has become quite well known around the Lawrence bowling spectrum for his infamous 299 (one pin short of a perfect game) in tryouts. Birt expects nothing less than that from any of the bowlers this season.

“This will be a really special year,” Birt said. “We are a freight train heading to Wichita and everyone on the tracks better get out of our way.”

Although Birt believes that everyone plays an integral part of the team’s success this year, when he was asked about Tanner Kilmer his eyes seemed to light up a bit. Kilmer finished 8th as individual last year at State with a 683 series, and is picking up this season right where he left off bowling a 702 series in the Lawrence Quadrangular and a 706 series at the Seaman Quadrangular.

“Tanner Kilmer is a beautiful bowling machine,” Birt said. “He has the perfect form and he is so consistent.”     

Keep an eye on Kilmer and the rest of the bowlers as they try to build on their success and work toward their goal of winning state.