Unified Sports kick off new season

Team goals include diversity, inclusivity as basketball and bowling seasons start
Unified+athlete+Tate+Belveal+bowls+during+practice+at+Royal+Crest+Lanes.+
Fin Tholen
Unified athlete Tate Belveal bowls during practice at Royal Crest Lanes.

Unified Sports, an after-school club run by IPS and literacy workshop teacher Susan Mička, is beginning their bowling and basketball seasons with enthusiasm and many participants. The club encourages student athletes of all abilities to play sports in an inclusive way at LHS.

Unified Sports meets every Wednesday at 1:45, and it is open for all. Throughout the year, the team participates in many different sports. Athletes and partners get to choose which sports they compete in. The sports include bowling, basketball, bocce ball, and soccer.

The basketball team had their first few games at Washburn Rural High School on October 14.

“The teams played phenomenally,” Mička said. “More importantly, many players got their first taste of competition and they loved it.”

Along with tournaments through the Special Olympics, you can see Unified Basketball play at the annual Pack the House event. Senior and partner Bailey Conteras, who plays on the basketball team, has participated in Unified for two years.

“I just like basketball, it’s my favorite,” Conteras said. “I grew up watching it and I played it a little bit.”

For most of the Unified athletes, this is their first or second year competing. It gives them an opportunity to get involved and try sports that they may not get the chance to play outside of school.

“I get to know about the things around the school and classes,” sophomore and athlete Tate Belveal said.

Bowling is another option for Unified athletes. It’s supported by the Kansas State High School Activities Association and is coached by Sherridyn Fowler.

Both bowling and basketball did great at their first games as athletes found ways to persevere through their first game nerves. 

“Many of my players have never played competitively on a team,” Mička said. “So to go to another school and represent LHS is a real source of pride.”

The whole Unified team is ecstatic to continue their bowling and basketball seasons.

“Hopefully, we can win gold this year,” Belveal said.

LHS Unified has also received their second acknowledgment as a National Unified Banner School. A banner reveal in the gym during the upcoming quarter is expected soon. 

Although doing well in sports is valued, Mička’s main goal is to diversify the environment at Lawrence High in order to spread inclusivity.

“It forges relationships between students who may not typically interact,” Mička said. “Those relationships build empathy in our student body which ensures that LHS is a home to all of its students.”