Review: Espurreso Cat Cafe

The robust downtown coffee scene has a new addition: Espurreso Cat Cafe.

Espurresso, a cat cafe opened in late July, has taken Lawrence by storm. 

The cafe, located at 1014 Massachusetts St., partners with the humane society with the goal of finding ‘furrever’ homes for the cats. So far, over ten cats have been adopted through the cafe. After hearing about their mission, and rumors about some really good coffee, I decided to go take a look myself. 

Espurresso is open Wednesday to Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The cafe’s “Purrlor” — the place where the cats hang out — is separated from the rest of the building. The barrier in between the two sections makes sure anybody can see the cats — including people with allergies. If you want to go inside the Purrlor, it costs $10 for thirty minutes or $15 for an hour. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. 

When I entered Espurresso, I was immediately greeted by the staff and a delightful aroma. The space is somewhat small, but in a cozy way. After browsing the menu, I decided to pick out three items to try: a scone, an Americano coffee, and a lavender lemonade. The menu was surprisingly cheap and the total for my items was about $12. 

I sat down and looked into the Purrlor. I met the cats — Charmander, Hobbs, Grilled Cheese, and Chower, who all seemed playful and friendly. My personal favorite was Hobbs, a medium size black cat. According to Espurresso’s Instagram — @espurressocatcafelfk— the next day Hobbs found his ‘furrever’ home.

After about ten minutes, my drinks and food. The scone was delicious and one of the best I’ve ever had. The only thing I could critique it on was a slightly dry and crumbly texture rather than a moist one. The Americano was perfect, comparable to any other local coffee shop at a fraction of the price. My favorite out of all three was the lavender lemonade. I could taste the lavender flavor without being too overwhelmed. It was slightly on the sweeter side, but still wonderful. Another bonus for the lemonades are the recyclable cups and paper straws that come with their cold drinks.

Overall, the cafe had a welcoming environment, an inexpensive menu, tasty foods and drinks, and of course, adorable cats. I would highly recommend giving this ‘a-mew-sing’ cafe a visit!

Jean-Luc Esperance