Q&A with Cheryl Hughes

What motivated you to become a teacher?

I wasn’t always positive I wanted to be a teacher, but after doing my student teaching I realized it was something I could do and feel like I’m making some sort of a difference helping others.”

Where was your first teaching job?

My first job was at West Junior High in 1987. I was a paraprofessional in the Resource Room. Now, the teacher that I helped back then is sometimes my substitute here at LHS.”

Who has been an inspiration to you?

“My students are the ones keeping me inspired day in and day out. Without fabulous students, it would be a very difficult job.”

Have you had another career unrelated to teaching?

Yes, my first job was in a bank, and it was terribly boring. I made coffee for the president of the bank, sat at my desk and watched the clock until five. I knew that wasn’t the career for me.”

Did you have a job in high school?

“Yes, I sure did. I worked in a candy shop at the mall and handed out free samples to all my friends. I got fired after my boss realized what I was doing.”

Is it difficult working at LHS when your own children attend Free State?

“The only time I feel any sort of conflict is when Free State plays Lawrence High for football games. It’s the only time I wear green. Other than that, it doesn’t matter at all. Everyone at LHS has good friends over at Free State.”

When you run into your students outside of the classroom, how do you react?

“Lawrence is such a small town, so I constantly see my students at the movies, downtown and even at my own house (hanging out with my children). I think it’s healthy for students to see their teachers outside of the classroom environment. I’ve had students yell, ‘Mrs. Hughes! Hi!’ across Mass Street, and it always puts a huge smile on my face. I even hire some of my students to help out with yard work which is a win-win situation.”