Squad steps up work, commitment

Step Squad members stepped up dedication to their club this year.

They recently performed at the University of Kansas Step Show and LHS’s talent show. The energy and excitement this group generated sparked the audience to join in clapping and cheering.

LHS security guard Armond Enclarde has had previous experience with stepping when he worked at the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence. When students discovered this, they asked him to sponsor their club.

Students had been impressed by previously seeing him dance. They agreed he was the perfect person to help them get the club off the ground.

Enclarde doesn’t take all the credit.

“The students gathered themselves, and I just helped,”  Enclarde said.

He received help from senior Taylor Edwards, who was an asset in getting the members started and excited about stepping.

This club allows members to express their individual talents and inspirations through dance.

“We all know how to put in our own flavor,” junior Jasmine Williams said.

Williams is a new dancer to the Step Squad.

“Watching TV and movies having to do with step, like ‘Stomp the Yard,’ encouraged me to get it started at school,” Williams said.

A founder of the group, junior Rovie Jacobs, also shares the love of dancing.

“I feel it is an excellent way to express one’s self through movement” Jacobs said. “I feel like we’re a family because we get along together. We practice and practice to get all of our steps in.”

The future of Step Club is encouraging.

“I think the Step team is awesome,” Enclarde said. “We have students that are excited and really want to step. They all come with a really good attitude. I see them practicing when they’re walking down the hallways, so that really shows me that they are wanting to do a good job.”