Can We Talk deemed credit worthy

In the fall of 2007, an organization was created called Can We Talk.  Ms.Lynisha Thomas, director of Can We Talk, created the organization to help students learn about diversity issues and how to educate themselves. Members of this organization learn about various cultures through guest speakers and field trips.

Can We Talk is not only in the Lawrence school district but in other school districts around the state. There are currently over a 100 members in the Lawrence High School vector. New members are always welcome at meetings.

Starting this year students can receive half a credit for participation in Can We Talk. There are certain guidelines to earn this credit however. First of all, one field trip is required, as well as one college visit. Secondly, a journal entry for each meeting and ten current events on race issues is required. Members must also participate in the student exchange with Free State High School. Most importantly members must attend 80% of the meetings.

Several administrators and counselors collaborated and came to this decision. “If students can earn credit for being a teacher’s aid then why can’t you do something thats actually meaningful, inspiring, and educational and receive the same?” said Thomas.