How To: Avoid procrastination

When given due dates for big assignments, make a schedule of when you will accomplish various elements of the larger assignment. For example, if you know you have two weeks to write a report, plan when you will write the outline, make a draft, and edit for those two weeks with leniency. It’ll help you avoid pulling an all-nighter if you get swamped with homework the night before the report is due.. Our school planner is a good resource for accomplishing these goals.

Once a teacher gives you a due date of a project, set your own due dates earlier. For example, if you have three weeks to read a book, write in your planner that its due in two weeks. This will give you more time to embellish the analysis, decorate a poster board, etc.

On days where you have no homework, use your free time to get ahead. It may not be possible in all classes to get assignment ahead of time, but in the classes where you do have this luxury, use it to your advantage. For some classes you can know the next chapter you must read and take notes on, or you can work on a long-term project.

Make flashcards to memorize important terms as you learn them. If the lessson is divided into sections, utilize this, and quiz yourself at the end of each one. By the time you have to study for the test, you will already have an outline of all the material before you begin intensely studying.

A way to simply avoid procrastinating is to begin with the largest element of the project. If you are assigned a two-part project, start with the part that you find most challenging.This will allow you to work on your favorite part as the due date approaches.

For midterms and finals, you can avoid stress by staying organized by following the schedule either you or your teacher created. If you keep all of your notes and terms throughout the entire semester studying for these can be made simple by reviewing the essentials you had previously conducted.