Colour My Court

homecoming court 2010

Voices echoed off the tile floors of the cafeteria, interrupted by a screeching megaphone.

The distinctive lyrics “You can colour my world with sunshine yellow each day…” played like a broken record. Bright colors flashed by like multiple still shots.

In the midst of this, media teacher Jeff Kuhr attempted to catch the attention of hundreds of students with only minutes left to complete the homecoming music video. As he shouted, his normally calm demeanor changed and his face contorted in an all-consuming focus until the last scene was shot.

“We had 10 minutes to finish two parts in the last verse,” Kuhr said.

From a bonfire to a dance, Homecoming has been a tradition at Lawrence High for decades. After the success of last year’s winter court lip dub, a new tradition was created.

With the help of the student council, Kuhr’s Media III class created a unique video incorporating the student body.

Since the second week of school, seniors Ellie Berland, Elizabeth Faircloth and Megan Fleming worked to prepare the video. From the concept to the showing took nearly a month to finish.

“Planning the video was a really fun and challenging thing to do,” Faircloth said. “It was interesting to see how all of our ideas came together to make the video.”

Students will witness for the first time the finished video during seminar on Thursday. The video will debut in an assembly on the movie screen in the auditorium.

“The video is a great accomplishment, and I hope everyone loves it,” Berland said.