Review: Unorthodox Jukebox

Okay, I’m going to be honest. Until very recently I hated Bruno Mars’s music. I mean, seriously, ‘Grenade’ and ‘Lazy Song’ made me want to puke. However, after hearing his new single ‘Locked Out of Heaven’, I didn’t even know he was singing, and after watching the music video, all I could think of was a young Michael Jackson.

So I downloaded the album, which has an awesome cover, to see if I had really just become a Bruno Mars fan. It starts out with a semi-slow song called ‘Young Girls’. Let me just say, this song is fantastic. Every time I listen to it I just want to sing along. Though it sounds kind of sad due to the slow tempo, I think it’s more of a matter-of-fact acknowledgement. This track is followed with the amazing ‘Locked Out of Heaven’, which I spent days obsessing over. The beat is addicting and the lyrics are enthralling.

Tracks such as ‘Show Me’, ‘If I Knew’, ‘Old & Crazy’, and the Major Lazer remix of ‘Locked Out of Heaven’ are songs I have to be in the right mood to listen to. They all seem to have their own theme in terms of the music. It kind of reminds me of being on an island, and they’re a bit out of left field.

Then comes ‘When I Was Your Man’, his spellbinding ballad. Simple, straightforward lyrics paired with a piano and boom, you’ve got yourself a hit. I could listen to this song for hours.

‘Natalie’ and ‘Money Make Her Smile’ are the dance tracks on this album that make me wish I was old enough to go clubbing. ‘Natalie’ is about a gold digger Mars is upset with and, quite honestly, wants to murder. ‘Money Make Her Smile’ makes me think of the scenes in high school movies when a really hot, popular girl is walking down the hallway, kind of like Emma Stone in Easy A, or The Plastics in Mean Girls.

Lastly, Mars included a song called ‘Moonshine’ and its Futuristics Remix. Personally, I like the remix better because the original is pretty slow, and the lyrics suggest something more upbeat. It has a hint of dubstep, but it’s not very intense and has more lyrics to overpower that.

In conclusion, I am now obsessed with Bruno Mars and can’t stop listening to this album. I’m sure if you play it you’ll feel the same way.