Catcalling needs to come to an end

Print

Graphic by Alexis Riner

By Kansas Gibler

On the way to seventh hour, a 14 year old freshman stops by her locker.

A junior, walking with his friends, sees her and notices how well her shorts fit. “Daaaamn,” he says over her shoulder.

He continues on with his friends, giggling and feeling proud of how he degraded her. She is left feeling violated.

A zero-tolerance approach needs to be taken to eliminate catcalling. It is sexual harassment and can hurt not only academic performance but social and emotional well-being.          By eliminating catcalling from students’ academic lives, they will regain the feeling of security in school hallways.

Currently, catcalling is passively accepted. It goes unnoticed and unaddressed by peers.

“I don’t see it in the hallways because I’m not looking for it. But, I’m sure that if I did, I would see it all of the time,” senior Phoebe Clark said. “It’s sexual objectification, and it’s casual.”

In a survey of 30 students, the majority claimed that they have catcalled. They see it daily and they know that it’s offensive. But still, motivation to stop catcalling is nonexistent.

Freshman Cyara Le has also taken notice of the harassment.

“I think I would be passive about it and just keep walking because there’s not much you can do about it in the moment,” Le said. “It’s just circumstantial.”

In a situation such as catcalling, the victim cannot prevent it. With the delivery of catcalling, offenders are often not available for confrontation as they continue walking.

“I wish there was a way, one definite way, to get people to realize that it’s not OK,” Clark said.

We must veer off of the self-destructive path of catcalling we’re barreling down.

Posters could be hung in the few places they are permitted. An assembly should be arranged. Group discussions should be held. Catcalling should be addressed in the Health class curriculum.

However, not everyone pays attention in the hallways, especially to posters. Not everyone attends assemblies. Not everyone has a time or place for group discussions. Not everyone pays attention during Health class.

But, everyone is capable of self control and respecting their peers.

Intolerance of catcalling will end its existence on school campus. If our school is an environment where catcalling is socially unacceptable, it will not happen. Tell someone it’s not cool.

When people are socially shunned, they remember it and the offenders are more likely to avoid doing it again.

Additionally, catcallers could use different methods. Instead of hollering at someone, approach them. A compliment is more personal than a catcall and it could actually flatter someone instead of violate them.

Exchanging catcalls for direct compliments, as well as being intolerant of hollering in school, would eliminate sexual harassment and allow students to regain security on campus.

Women also gain a chance to get the respect that they deserve.

156