Senior week rules too restrictive

The timeless tradition of senior week is something most kids look forward to after watching upperclassmen participate in years before them.

But instead of thinking about how much fun they will have, seniors now find themselves worried about being suspended on this week dedicated to pranks and fun.

After giving their younger friends wacky haircuts — with full consent from the underclassmen and their parents — a few seniors last year were suspended and punished. These harsh actions left many wondering why the seniors were penalized at all.

Those on the side of the administration could argue the haircuts caused disturbances in the learning environment. But if this is the case, then wouldn’t all of the students who dye and shave their hair into odd colors and shapes on a regular basis be subject to suspension too?

The fact is that the halls are full of exotic hair doo’s every day, with students free to express themselves without having to worry about the administration getting involved. Something as simple as a student’s hair should not be terms for suspension.

Even if it is, these penalties should be equally distributed. A certain time kids show up with different hair styles should not determine if they are suspended or not.

If a student is pressured or threatened at a school, the school has every right to intervene with the problem. But the head-shavings do not fall under either of those categories.

The events that came into question occurred completely off school grounds, inside a private home. The ability of the school to reach inside the residence of a family and dictate their actions is wrong and somewhat scary.

If these actions are OK, then the administration would be able to punish students for what they watch on television or what they eat in their own home. Everyone knows that would never stand, so why is the school able to suspend kids for other things that happen in their houses?

Finally, the apparent “hazing” in question should have never even made it to the school because it simply was not hazing.

Hazing implies the students who got their heads shaved were caused embarrassment, or emotional or physical harm. This was not the case, as none of the underclassmen were embarrassed with a decision they fully agreed to, and the implication that emotional or physical harm resulted from a haircut is just silly.

In a school built upon and known for tradition, senior pranks have occurred for so many years and something as small as haircuts should not be terms for suspensions.

Seniors in years to come will surely face certain restrictions on their week. But the issue of suspensions and the school’s right to deliver them will continue to cause controversy throughout the LHS halls.

Seniors students should not receive suspensions for “hazing” their younger friends, with permission, on a week dedicated to events like that.